Our Village

Shireoaks, Near Worksop, Nottinghamshire.

Check out some of the local landmarks and features of our village.

St Lukes Church, ShireoaksSt Luke's Church, a building of a chapel of ease took place in 1810.

The Village at this time consisted of 25 Households. However, with the coming of Colliery in the 1850s, the Chapel could no longer cope. The Church was commissioned in 1861 and took 2 years to build
The Mill, shireoaksIn the Domesday survey of 1086, The hamlet of Shireoaks was recorded as a 'Manor' of Worksop comprising of a Mill and Several dwellings.

The Mill, was turned into residential use in 1974.
Shireoaks Colliery Work started on the Village Pit in 1854 and Coal production started in 1859.

The Village Railway station had to be moved to allow for new sidings and rail access to the Colliery.

The Colliery closed in 1990

The Former Colliery site is now Woodland Country Park and has been reclaimed from the Colliery site see Woodlands and Coach Wood Green for more details.
Shireoaks MarinaShireoaks Marina, formally the canal basin for the colliery, on the back wall were two coal chutes to enable the loading of Canal Barges.

Behind it where the trees are located is the former Colliery site.

The first Colliery shaft was sunk in 1854, the Canal Basin was then built to link the Colliery to the Chesterfield Canal. Two large coal chutes were added to allow the filling of Canal barges. The Coal could then be transported via the Canal to the River Trent and beyond. The old Shireoaks, Colliery basin, was transformed into a Shireoaks Marina in the year 2000
Dawn Rose at Shireoaks MarinaDawn Rose, is a replica of an original horse-drawn Barge.

Shown here in Shireoaks Marina, which was the former Colliery Canal Basin

More information about Dawn Rose can be found on the Chesterfield Canal Trusts website.

Dawn Rose
Lock Keepers Cottage, ShireoaksThe Chesterfield Canal and the Sheffield to Lincoln railway traverse the village from west to east.

This the former Lock Keepers Cottage just East of the Shireoaks Marina.
Chesterfield Canal - East ViewFrom the Bridge over the Chesterfield Canal Looking East.

The Canal was designed by James Brindley and runs 46 miles from Chesterfield to West Stockwith, where it joined the River Trent.
The view West along the Chesterfield Canal towards Boundary Lock
Boundary Lock, ShireoaksBoundary lock on the Chesterfield Canal, West of the Village of Shireoaks.

Work started on the Chesterfield Canal in 1771 and was completed in 1777.

It provided a link to the North Sea ( Via the River Trent)